The BLS Instructor course is designed to prepare candidates to teach BLS for the Healthcare Provider and HeartSaver classes. Candidates should be competent in BLS provider level skills and must possess a valid BLS Provider Card as well as certification in First Aid or higher level medical license (ie: RN, EMT, MD).
Instructor candidates must meet certain requirements before taking the instructor course. Before attending the BLS classroom portion of an instructor course, all instructor candidates must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be licensed or certified in a healthcare occupation or possess a valid AHA First Aid certification.
- Be aligned with an AHA Training Center
- Have a current/official AHA BLS for Healthcare Providers Provider course completion card
- Be proficient in the skills of BLS
- Complete BLS Instructor Essentials
- Complete an Instructor Candidate Application
There are 4 steps to becoming a BLS Instructor
- Become aligned with an AHA Training Center (if you are not already)
- Complete the online Instructor Essentials Module
- Attend and complete the classroom course
- Successfully be monitored while teaching a BLS course
The BLS Instructor Manual is included with the cost of this course. Instructors are required to have a copy of the BLS for Healthcare Providers provider manual.
By signing up for this course you will be issued a keycode to compete the Instructor Essentials online. This online learning must be completed prior to attending the classroom course. Do not sign up for this course if you are not aligned with a training center. To locate a local training center CLICK HERE
The American Heart Association strongly promotes knowledge and proficiency in all AHA courses and has developed instructional materials for this purpose. Use of these materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the AHA. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the AHA.